Re: [school-discuss] FLOSS & Homeschooling

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 01:33:08PM -0700, Joel Kahn wrote:
> I've been discussing FLOSS with a guy who is homeschooling his kids, and I'm
> looking for relevant resources to show him. While SchoolForge and some other
> places are better than nothing, my searches for FLOSS-related sites that
> specifically focus on homeschooling have been disappointing so far. Does
> anyone have some suggestions?

 Joel,

1 Perhaps a well-designed website with information for home-schoolers would be
a good place to start. Public schools are resistant to change, but perhaps the
home-schoolers will be more accepting giving cost benefits.

2 Perhaps some demonstrations of different tools at your public library
targeting home-schoolers will fill a room and get you somewhere.

  Maybe just starting out with Ubuntu and showing parents how to install
something simple like chess will work.

 Something like this was interesting:
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Getting_Started#About_Sugar

 I put together a demo of Maxima (math tool) for some 5th graders here.
 Some of it was over their heads, but some were into it:
 http://peppa.com/math/mathtools.html

  I think the bottom line is to get out there and make some smoke!

-Phil Carinhas

--
 | Dr. Philip A. Carinhas      || http://fortuitous.com   |