[school-discuss] web application to teach reading

My brother and I have a concept for an open-source web application.

The concept is a website that will allow individuals with reading problems to learn effective reading. The approach is inspired by the work of Dr Dee Tadlock with a methodology based on Interactive Constructivist principles. For a concise explanation of Dr Tadlock's innovations in the area of literacy acquisition, reference her interview at:

http://www.readright.com/news/An%20Interview%20with%20Dee%20Tadlock%20About%20Read%20Right12-7-2005.pdf

For a more complete and comprehensive explanation with theoretical overview and references, read her monograph at:

http://www.readright.com/whitepapers/Monograph.pdf

Based on these ideas, we believe that individuals with reading problems can learn to self resolve them by interacting with a website that allows them to compare their oral reading abilities with a synthesized or pre-recorded voice model and their own speaking style. The student would log on to the website and use mouse and a headset/microphone interface with the computer's sound card.

Proposed scenario:

Student clicks on a green circle marked "GO"

Step 1-Student hears a three word sentence by synthesized or pre-recorded voice (V) and is asked to repeat the sentence into the microphone. Student's vocal input is saved.

Step 2-Student is presented with the same sentence in text form along with V reading of it. V instructs student: "Please try to read the sentence silently. If after reading it silently, you would like to try reading it aloud, click the green circle and begin. If you would like to hear the sentence again, click the yellow circle."

Step 3-If student clicks green, this vocal input would be saved. The student then hears V say: "This is your voice saying the words" (Playback) "This is your voice reading the words." (Playback) "Do they sound the same? Were you comfortable reading the sentence?" If the answer is yes, click on the green circle. If the answer is no, click on the yellow circle."

Step 4a-If the student clicks yellow, the V repeats the sentence material and the instruction: "Please try to read the sentence silently. If after reading it silently, you would like to try reading it aloud, click the green circle and begin. If you would like to hear the sentence again, click the yellow circle."

Step 4b-If the student clicks green, the student hears another three word sentence as in Step 1, and Steps 1-4 follow.

When the student chooses Step 4b ten times without choosing step 4a, the sentence length is increased to four words, with a one word increase every time this criterion is met.

The crucial piece we do not yet know how to provide is the recording capability. Some kind of plug-in would most likely be adequate. I found a likely resource at http://www.jsresources.org/, but I an not enough of a java programmer to evaluate or implement the code provided. It has been suggested that the speex codec would be well suited to this application, and there is a java implementation of this codec (http://jspeex.sourceforge.net/). But I would still need help in using this code.

It was also suggested that a browser based implementation with a java plugin would have trouble accessing the local hard drive to write the generated sound files, and that using a "web start" type application would avoid this problem.

Any feedback or suggestions you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon Polacheck