Re: [school-discuss] License for an open-source voting system?

Note: Not sure it actually made it to the list.. there was a bounce... sorry if there are dup's
brk

As regards this.  there are two sides to the voting issue that overlap but have distinct differences.

Transparency and security.

The voting methodology needs to be transparent, and the voted themselves need to be secure from unauthorized viewing, modification and permanent.

In our universe this means we need to have a vouchsafe hard copy produced at the time of voting.  As we cannot produce a printout for the voter, we have to depend on the window method to observe the paper roll as the voting is cast.  Cumbersome, but it works.

As far as inviolate, the software needs to be verified and tested, but in a closed environment.  The selected individuals cannot divulge what they know about the software details, but they need to validate it.

I have been around the block on voting systems for years and have come to the conclusion that neither Traditional OpenSource nor Traditional proprietary code will do the task.

For routine things, opensource is great.  For SECURE systems, not so much.

my FWIW.

Bill