Re: [school-discuss] Your Open Source Project won 1st place! (Taos.com)

I have been lingering on the edges for a long time.

I am in California as well and to build up the necessary for a non-profits is pretty easy, but to do it as a non-profit tax-exempt is more of a hump.

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=96109,00.html
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

I too am willing to help.  we have been in our current home for 18 years, but as was noted, the probability of multi-year longevity is not a certainty for most of us.

Something to keep in mind is there will be a requirement for long term accounting, which potentially costs money, each tax year.  The nice thing is the filing can be done pretty simply for a small group.
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=139222,00.html

It could be possible, if there is a connection, to request the donation be made to the likes of the Linux Foundation on behalf of School Forge.

I will follow this closely, let me know how I can assist.