Re: [school-discuss] Print server suggestions

On Sunday 24 February 2002 15:51, you wrote:
> I've been working on this all weekend and am finally ready to admit that
> I need some advice.
>
> I'm working on building a network for a local community center using
> older hardware we've acquired from various places.  One of the things I
> need to do is network some old laser printers (Panasonic KX-P4420s).
> For that I plan to use a cast-off PC as a print server, essentially as a
> great big printer NIC.  The PC I have for the job is a Compaq Prolinea
> Net1/33s.  That's a 486/33 with 16 MB RAM and a ~270 MB HD.

Greetings,

I've done such a minimum install using Slackware, the standard LPR tools, and
configuring it with Apsfilter.  Excellent results.  You need to set up the
host.equiv files properly, and place limits for security, but you already
knew that.

I haven't worked with CUPS, but I have worked with the KX-P4420 (if memory
serves me) which can be driven as an old HP laserjet with acceptable results.
 (I'm 99 percent sure the P4420 was the printer one student used for our
winterm admin class... the other was an HP LJ-III.)

I am a firm believer in Apsfilter and the basic Apsfilter setup.  It works
nicely, both on the print server and on the client systems.
--
jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
		jeff.williams@cuw.edu