Re: [school-discuss] Re: LyX

Leon Brooks wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:09, Randy Edwards wrote:

   I don't mean to be too snobbish or to start a distro war, but I
have to comment on this thread.  I'm pretty amazed at all the
headaches you're going through just to install LyX (I mean, it's a
popular and near-standard package, right?!).  If we were to expect a
normal teacher to do this, Linux wouldn't be used in many places.

urpmi lyx

...or click on K, Configuration, Packaging, find LyX and click on it.

I'd expect Fedora to be like that soon, too. Distros that don't have similar functionality are going to be limited to niches.

I'm also expecting something of a revolution in X and related packages over the next year/2/3, one side-effect of which will be making Debian Testing at least as slick as Mandrake is now (and Mandrake will have progressed even further, bleeding-edge addicts that Warly and crew are... :-), and more stable.

Distro wars will be, in analogy, more over uniform fashions, less over RPG range and destructiveness.

Cheers; Leon

Well, the LyX download site has an RPM for Fedora Core 1, and it installed cleanly on an FC1 box I have here in the office...

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain