Re: [school-discuss] Edubuntu & a W2000 pblm

Thanks, Garry, for the response

Try (in a terminal) 'apt-get install build-essentials' . This will install all you need. Otherwise to install packages in a friendly way run 'synaptic'. It is in system > administration.

OK. The 'build-essentials' sounds like just what I need. Alex Chekholko sent me some more details privately as well. It is great to have
a supportive community of this particular kind of change agents. It was useful to recognize in my initial automatic response when I couldn't compile source package ("what, there is no make in this @&*^!^% Ubuntu system?") just the type of initial reaction we get from teachers when we try to introduce them to LINUX in any form.

   [description of a W2000 boot pblm in a school library]

Sorry can't help with this one.

I'm of course not surprised. With the little info I gave, I doubt if anyone could have helped. I spent hours on that machine yesterday, removing
any drivers related to sound production to no avail. Time to reinstall W2000 if I can find the appropriate disks - difficult when machines are 'gifts'.

Yesterday I also explored Ubuntu some more. It took me quite some time to find a Konquerer-type window which was buried (IMHO) in a menu where I didn't expect to find it. I wanted to use it to see how Ubuntu would respond to a double click on the icon for a file, a debian package file for 'make'. That made more sense for a non-command-line user than my earlier attempts to execute that file using 'aptitude install'.

   Best, Ralph