Re: [school-discuss] New Python Version

It should be noted that they are also going to continue the 2.x line
for at least one (most probably more) versions, so the transition to a
non-compatible upgrade of Python will take a few years... more than
enough time to switch over.

Also, they are releasing an application that will do machine
translation from 2.x->3, and the developers are very confident that it
will cover almost all Python 2 software.

This is not a move-with-us-or-go-to-Hell move like PHP4 -> 5 or Visual
Basic -> VB Net.

On Feb 6, 2008 7:49 PM, Joel Kahn <jj2kk4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This may technically be off-topic, but I know that
> the Python language is one of the most widely used
> programming languages in the FLOSS world, and I
> don't know how many people have gotten the word yet,
> so I figured it might be a good idea to post this...
>
> The Python community is working on a major upgrade
> that will produce a version *not* compatible with
> the older stuff. Technical info can be found here:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3000/
>
> Good luck.
>
> Joel

Micheal Cooper