Re: [school-discuss] ltsp server specs question

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 07:21:30PM -0800, David Bucknell wrote:
> For now, we are focused on revitalizing the old machines and
> putting money into the server-only; hence the LTSP choice.

Good, especially if you can afford better monitors (something
like used 17" to 19" CRT or 17" to 20" TFT, considering size
and radiation) for children to spare their eyes.

Just in case, I've bought used Intel PXE-capable cards for $4
a piece in a bunch last time for my school, but those needed
updated firmware (the available one was only pretending to boot,
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility).
This can be worked around by putting a PXE stack on a floppy
or a local hard drive (along with local swap, for that matter).

In case your thin clients have <= 64M RAM, it's possible to use
them with ALTSP but probably not with stock LTSP5 implementations
found in mainstream distros (XDMCP/X11 instead of X11/SSH/python
gets critical, and swap-over-net patch series in a thin client's
kernel is pretty much vital too then).

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
###