Re: [school-discuss] Need help with version control install

Hi Laura,

Historically svn superceded cvs. Git is based on svn. Therefore git is the most recent of these three.Â

This is how I would do it:
1. From your account at github.com use the web interface to create a new repository (empty except possible LICENSE.txt and/or README.md)
2. On your local machine install git and use the command "git clone http://github.com/LM/myrepo.git myrepo" to clone your repo to your local machine.
3. Copy-in whatever files you already have
4. Commit those files using "git add *" and "git commit"
5. Once you have something in your repository, get everyone to fork that repository and clone their forks to their local machines via the same command, but modified to refer to their forks of the repo, for example: "git clone http://github.com/LMcolleague/colleaguefork.git colleaguefork"
6. You should also fork it, maybe you'll need to create an "organization" to avoid git protesting at putting a fork directly alongside your master repo ...
7. Now everyone works on their local copy of their fork.Â
8. When someone wants to submit a contribution they commit their changes to their own fork, and then, via the web interface at github.com, create a "pull" request. This tells the repo's maintainer (you, in this case) that somebody wants to merge changes into the master branch of the repo. You, the maintainer, via the gui for the master repo on github.com, perform the merge.Â
9. Everyone needs to periodically use "git status" to check if anyone has merged anything. After merging the above it will be reflected in "git status". Now everyone needs to do their own "git pull" to sync-up with the master branch.
10. The same process repeats over and over ...

Hope that helps!Â
Good luck,
Charles