Re: [school-discuss] Project Proposal

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Michael Williams wrote:

> I'm not suggesting that we add to the specifications..(yet) just building
> something using the current specs. This would expose whether or not it is
> truly open. Then, if it where possible, looking at ways to get involved in
> the process of establishing the specifications. I think that open source
> needs to get involved with the "spec" makers and leverage whatever influence
> we can muster.

I've read through a good chunk of the document (190+ pages!!!) and I think
this is doable.  The server itself is not excessively complicated.  It
basically uses HTTPS as the transport mechanism and XML as the document
format.  It should be possible to write the ZIS as an apache CGI program
and allow apache to handle encryption and transport.  Are there existing
proprietary applications that use a ZIS server?  Some of the working
groups don't seem to have very complete schemas, but others look good.

At the moment, I have a program that returns a SIF_Ack response when
queried, although it does nothing with the query itself.  :)

    http://www.haz.cmsd.bc.ca/cgi-bin/zis

Steve.