Re: [school-discuss] Mildly OT: Loki Games hosting

Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:37, Doug Loss wrote:
>
>>This is mildly (but only mildly) off-topic.  SEUL (not SEUL/edu, but
>>it's parent org) is planning to become the host of Loki Games CVS
>>repository.  Loki Games will be ceasing operation on Jan. 31.  The
>>Loki CVS includes OpenAL (a cross-platform 3D-Audio Library), SDL (a
>>cross-platform multimedia development API), Fenris Online
>>Bugtracking System (a web-based, database-supported system for
>>developers), Setup (an XML- and GTK-based graphic installer
>>utility), and the Loki Update, Uninstall, and Patch Tools.  These
>>and some of the other things in this CVS may be useful to
>>educational software developers.  You can see their current listing
>>at <http://www.lokigames.com/development/>.
>>

> I find it somewhat dis-heartening that companies like Loki have not been able
> to make a profit.  It is my firm belief that companies supporting Linux (and
> other open source software) need to be financially sustainable for there to
> be any real and long lasting shift within the business community towards open
> source alternatives.
>
> Still, glad to see that SEUL is stepping in to host the CVS repository.
>
> Rasjid.

I think it is great that their dev tools have found a good home.

The Loki target market didn't have much of a chance.  Loki had to pay
for the right to port already popular games.  The games being already
popular meant that most folks who wanted them had already bought them
for their windows machines, and had no reason to buy another copy.  What
was really needed to create a good niche was to release some eye
catching new games for Linux first or only.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller
- UNIX Systems Administrator