moderating the mailing list (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [school-discuss] mostfrequently used words])

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Doug Loss wrote:

Doug,

I discussed this with you before off-list a few months ago.

It is confusing that your forwarded postings appear to be from you, have
your email address, contain your signature, and quote (">") the real
poster's message.

I see that this is a majordomo list. Is it setup as a moderated list?

Do you receive a "Subject:" line like the following?
Subject: BOUNCE : schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net   Non-member
submission from ["Michael Hall" <olc@openlearningcommunity.org>]

With my majordomo, I am able to moderate postings by doing:

- forward it to the main list email address
  (schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net)
- don't quote (">") forwarded text
- Subject: line doesn't matter (so you don't need to edit it)
- Add an "Approved: your-majordomo-password-here" line at the first line
- the immediate next line should be the start of the headers of the email
  to approve. (majordomo will use the correct subject line from the
  following headers.)

Please consider not simply quoting and forwarding non-approved postings.

Doug, thanks for your work with managing these lists.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/