[school-discuss] something to think about

hello,

every morning i read a bit and drink coffee.  it gets my soul hungry again.

this morning, i was flipping through Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake, his last book.
something struck me as germane to what we do with gutenberg books at etc ...

here are the highlights :

(Chapter 43)

question : what is the white stuff in bird poop?
answer : that is bird poop, too.

there are many good people who are beneficially stimulated by some, not all,
manmade arrangements of colors and shapes on flat surfaces, essentially
NONSENSE.

You yourself are gratified by some music ... essentially nonsense.

if you really want to know if your [work] is art or not, you have to display
it in a public place for strangers to look at.

any work of art is half a conversation between two human beings, and it helps
a lot to know who is talking at you.

works of art are famous for their humanity, not for their artiness.

there is also the matter of craftsmanship.  art lovers like to play along.  to
see how the illusion was created.

good luck and love as always.

mike eschman, etc ...

--