Re: [school-discuss] Microsoft Thwarting Free Thinking

Gerard,

We share your pain.

So much so that we have created a curriculum for our Computing and
Information Management subject that is deliberately disruptive to
students comfortable Microsoft existence. We have written a paper that we
have presented at a couple of Australian conferences about our experience
and philosophy. It has a companion web site with other links and relevant
information as well as the PowerPoint (yes, a small concession to M$)

The web site:

http://www.trinity.unimelb.edu.au/lic/freedom/

The actual paper:

http://www.trinity.unimelb.edu.au/publications/papers/OSS-InnovateandEducate.pdf

Open Source Software: Freedom to Educate and Innovate

ABSTRACT Open Source Software (OSS) is central to Trinity College's
educational objectives. Use of OSS has given us the freedom and the
flexibility to emphasize the teaching of basic principles rather than
training on particular software packages. It has allowed us to customize
our curriculum for the best educational outcome for our students rather
than being constrained by closed source, proprietary packages. We have
been able to break out of the narrow view that closed source proprietary
packages are always the best option. In this way, Trinity College has
control over the education it provides, and future innovations it
undertakes.

Cheers,

Richard

--
Dr Richard Wraith                             rgw@trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Director of IT & T and the Trinity Learning Innovation Centre