[school-discuss] [Fwd: New Textbook on Desktop Linux]

[I'm forwarding this to the list as it seems that it might be of
interest to folks here. Doug]

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Chris Charuhas <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: New Textbook on Desktop Linux
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:14:52 -0500

My company has just published a new school textbook on a desktop Linux
distribution. As far as we know, it's the first anywhere.

The textbook is titled The Visibooks Guide to Linspire Five-O, and it's on
the Linspire distribution. Our press release is below.

Let me know if you have any questions, and best regards,

Chris Charuhas
Visibooks
www.visibooks.com

the U.S. Department of Education has produced a series of illustration-based
computer class textbooks. The textbooks' "pictures instead of words"
approach makes it easier for beginning students to learn computer subjects.

In 2003, Visibooks, LLC received an SBIR (Small Business Innovation
Research) grant from the U.S. Department of Education to create computer
class textbooks for students with learning disabilities and low English
proficiency. Within a year, a prototype textbook was created. Much simpler
than conventional textbooks, it featured large illustrations and one-tenth
as many words as other computer texts.

Starting in 2004, a series of textbooks based on the prototype were
developed. 28 textbooks on computer basics, Microsoft Office, Web
development, Palm devices, and desktop Linux were completed and tested in
classrooms during the fall 2005 semester. The textbooks were published by
Visibooks, and are now available to schools at www.visibooks.com.

While originally intended for students with special needs, the textbooks
have been well-received by a variety of students and teachers. Dr. Michael
West, an education researcher at Virginia Commonwealth University, says,
"Textbooks of this type are well-suited not only to special needs students,
but to anyone who finds it easier to learn through Show rather than Tell."

Visibooks, LLC, based in Frederick, MD, publishes illustration-based
computer class textbooks. Visibooks textbooks are sold and licensed to
schools and corporations worldwide at www.visibooks.com.

For more information, contact:
Chris Charuhas
Visibooks, LLC