Re: [school-discuss] One Laptop Per Child?

Hello,

On 15/01/07, lee rodgers <sregdoreel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>I couldn't agree more.
>>Since I first heard of the OLPC program, I've found it insane.
 >
>>When your world is dominated by where your next meal is
>>coming from and IF your next meal is coming, you probably
>>aren't too concerned about things like PC's, the Internet,
>>etc.

Speaking of the Dalits, this is the kind of liberating device many of them are looking for... most of the Dalit population were the former Buddhist (Theravada) population before the Hindu Brahma ramrodded the caste system down everyone's throat. The Dalits are reclaming their destiny from under the Brahmin thumb through two means: Education & conversion (back to Buddhism or over to Xianity), and their leaders already see computer tech as the great equalizer. The OLPC is spot-on what they need. Maybe $150 per unit is too much, so the first one they get will be shared in a classroom by 8 shifts of science & math students, but down the road families will be able to afford it....