Re: [school-discuss] One Laptop Per Child?

On 1/22/07, Edward Holcroft <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On OLPC. Educationally speaking I think that a few laptops in each classroom is a more meaningful approach than the single computer lab approach that we currently use - at least in terms of the South African curriculum model in which differentiation of simultaneous classroom activities is catered for, if not encouraged. But it also raises a number of practical questions of cost, loss and maintenance, all of which are part of the overall sustainability value chain. As a project, I'm for OLPC and hope that my path intersects with an opportunity to be involved in it somewhere. It's a pity that in Africa OLPC somehow got itself locked into NEPAD which has been a blunder that doesn't have much to show for its e-schools project so far.

Edward,

OLPC is about laptops belonging to and going home with children, not a
few laptops per classroom.  As far as I know (and I work on the
project) we are not locked into NEPAD in any way, in any of our
African partner countries.  There is a Microsoft consortium involved
in Nigeria under NEPAD; perhaps that is what you are thinking of...

Best wishes,
 SJ Klein