Re: [school-discuss] project idea: open source text books

Tim,

It seems to me that the scales at which SchoolForge has historically been most successful is the individual school, and the small district: helping one school or a small district move towards FLOSS systems for their technological infrastructure (student attendance and grading systems, desktop and portable systems for students and staff use).  Scaling up to a national level may not be the most likely successful approach for this project.

In fact, most textbook decisions are made at the school or district level (though some states maintain oversight authority, essentially creating a list of approved texts).  If we're successful at creating one or more open-source texts, it will be interesting to see whether or not state boards of education would even consider approving such a text (since it presumably won't be physical copies, and states don't normally get involved in decisions about curricular resources other than textbooks).

It seems to me that this is exactly the sort of thing that makes the idea of open-source texts appealing to SchoolForgers: it leverages the philosophical underpinnings of the FLOSS movement, to wrest control from large power-aggregators (textbook companies, state boards of education) and place that power in the hands of users (teachers and students).

 James Klock
 Juarez HS, Chicago