Re: wiki? Re: [school-discuss] Apologies for my ignorance but....

just started this process in his three part challenge

List 1, defined problems (duplication of efforts, distribution, etc)
List 2, defined resources (many people said they could contribute in different ways)
List 3, proposed solutions (SchoolForge as clearing house, supporting efforts both existing and in development)

So far we have not defined a problem yet we have seemingly come up with solutions...   Many people seem eager to write a textbook...   yet we have not followed Justin's suggestions in ensuring efforts are not duplicated, thus wasted...   Further is it a textbook that is most needed?   Here I earlier suggested doing a needs assessment.  Why not do a short study of what is available, what the needs are and what our skill set may be to help bridge the gaps.

As one who has consumed open content in its many forms and a generator and contributor to academic open content over the past 15 years or so I have seen hundreds of open content websites all with varying and overlapping goals.

Anyhow, for fun  i was just downloading some texts from the Open college Textbook project...  see here  http://collegeopentextbooks.org/opentextbookcontent/open-textbooks-by-subject/education

As far as I can see they have a very healthy collection of textbooks, but the question may be... what is needed in the world to extend the reach even further.  In Laos we are facing a major issue with localization. Getting such texts translated would be a major undertaking.

just my 2 cents

Cheers
Tim