    Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:26:52 -0800
    From: Bill Fitzgerald <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] Credibility of OA Texts
      To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fortunately, these concerns don't really stand up in the real world.

Unfortunately, they are frequently used as reasons not to trust open content.

On peer reviews, they are easy to fake. Just ask Elsevier and Merck: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090503/1255574725.shtml

Additionally, in many specialized disciplines, the notion of a double blind peer review is just flat out not possible because there are a limited number of people doing work in highly specialized disciplines, so the experts doing the reviews know the experts doing the work.

Moreover, textbooks at the K12 level in the states tend to reflect the needs of Texas and California - so what happens when some of the ideas at http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/03/mixed-results-for-science-in-texas.ars begin making it into our textbooks.

And, the "experts" in charge of publishing houses often miss the basics. Just ask these folks: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/04/01/Errors-abound-Sacramento-math-books/UPI-65371270169444/

So, we should be very aware of the need for creating high quality content, and refining good content to make it excellent.

But we should do this because it's the right thing to do, not out of a misguided sense that the people doing it now are doing it particularly well. Any material used should be evaluated on its own merits, regardless o0f the source.

Cheers,

Bill