Re: [school-discuss] Discussion About Linux on Linkedin

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Joel Kahn <jj2kk4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On the social media site Linkedin, in a group called International Society for Technology in Education, a discussion is underway titled, "Who else out there is using Linux in their classrooms?" Between the dotted lines below is one recent posting:
> I understand the software is free, but any time students/teachers spend
> on learning the tech is time away from using the tools on the web and doing,
> learning, researching, creating, etc.

It really bothers me when people assume that what's easy for them is
easy for everyone else.  For me, a command line is easy and a Mac
style GUI interface is annoying and not intuitive.  I really dislike
the way so many people assume what they like is what everyone else
will like.  It's especially not a good attitude for educators to have.
 Student has their own ways of learning that's best for each of them.
Forcing a student to be stuck with a particular way of doing things
because it's easier for the teacher isn't necessarily in the best
interest of the student.  It may even discourage a student from using
that technology when with a different interface or some customization,
it could be very helpful for that individual.

I find the whole situation very frustrating because I'm running into
this type of attitude (that what one person likes is what's best for
everyone else) more and more at work.

Sincerely,
Laura
###