Re: [school-discuss] programming for junior high

"Gregory Allen" <gwallen@speakeasy.net> writes:

> I like the rhinoceros (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript4/) book.  I've
> had great success teaching JavaScript to kids in that age group.  The
> structure of the language is simple enough that they can get their hands
> around it and they love the idea of creating their own website - especially
> one with dynamic content.

I've found Ruby to be a great introductory language (with the
advantage that it scales well beyond it).  I cannot suggest a book,
but you can find some teaching experiences to non-programmers on this
page by another Rubyist:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?LearningToProgramWithRuby