[school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] Next steps - A virtual FOSS e-learning lab?

Dear Wayne et. all.

Wayne Mackintosh kirjoitti 9.7.2005 kello 6:56:
I think that we can achieve the ideals of a virtual e-learning LAB
for FLOSS
LMS systems without the need for funding.

I like the idea of FLOSS e-learning Lab, but would like to see the approach being more wide than a testbed for FLOSS LMS systems.

All in all the LMS concept was developed by non-FLOSS community
(software industry) to make it simple for the IT managers to respond
to their boss' question "where is our organization's e-learning
solution"? Afterwards FLOSS community copied the model of LMS and
started to develop their own FLOSS systems.

I lately wrote in my blog about the history of ICT in education. I
really think (and hope) that e-learning and LMS systems are not "the
end of history". See more at:

http://flosse.dicole.org/?item=critical-history-of-ict-in-education-
and-where-we-are-heading

So, FLOSS Education Technology Lab is a great idea, if it is
disseminating and offering possibility to try out FLOSS ICT tools
usable and meaningful in a different kind of learning processes. The
virtual Lab should also discuss and offer pedagogical models and
guidelines how to use the technology in human learning taking place
in a different contexts.

Best regards,

    - Teemu

Teemu Leinonen