Re: [school-discuss] OLPC Trouble

On Sat, July 21, 2007 10:53 am, Daniel Howard said:

[snip, included below]

> Too bad about YouTube, there's lots of great old video
> clips of historic value there, but if you can't block
> the bad stuff via filtering, better to block the whole site.

I just want to point out that many would disagree with this statement
generally, and specifically to YouTube. My kids (ages 8 and 12) have
probably learned more about science from YouTube than all of their
official schooling. YouTube is a library of video covering a large range
of activities (and explicitly does not have hard-core porn.)

However, regardless of how any of us feel about this point, we should all
be sensitive to jumping to a "technological solution" (ie, filtering)
before considering the alternatives. Discussions with the students
regarding appropriate use should *at least* be considered before deciding.

Surely any library has a larger range of materials than YouTube. But
hopefully you would not recommend closing the library?!

I'm not sure who you advise with your recommendations, but I hope they see
the bigger picture.

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank