Re: [school-discuss] cs basic course

At Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:50:15 +0200,
roberto wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Dirk Schouten<d.schouten@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > roberto wrote:
> >>
> > Hello Roberto,
> >
> > [quote]
> > i have to teach [...] computer science.
> > [/quote]
> >
> > My 2 Eurocents:
> >
> > - Would it be an idea to teach them about text processing?
> >        The power of the command line, grep,sed, pipes,
> >        etcetera.
> good :)
> >
> > Teaching OOo (great program BTW) has no scientific value.
> > With kind regards,
> > Dirk Schouten
> >
> yes, i understand your view, but i have to tell them something about
> open source software which they will be using in their life soon after
> the end of the classes

Since these students already know the "Office metaphor" I would simply
expect them to familiarize themselves with the relevant FOSS:
e.g. OOo, Konqueror, KPDF, Firefox+plugins (zotero, ...), Pidgin,
Twinkle, KPhotoAlbum, Dia, Gimp, Inkscape, Akkregator, Amarok, vlc,
FreeMind, Basket, GnuCash, KMyMoney, R, GNUpg...

If application of software is what you teach, then please call the
course something other than "Computer Science"

I would be excited to see a course (not CS either) about current
political and legal trends and issues related to IT: right to personal
data, anonymity, computer forensics, software patents, copyright law,
direct democracy.

Best regards,

Marko