Re: [school-discuss] Knoppix vs. Freeduc vs. ???

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:26:04 -0500
"Dave Prentice" <prentice@instruction.com> wrote:

          Yes, I know that you can set up a thin client network if you have
      the resources and expertise, but I have neither. I tried and tried
      with K12LTSP but never could make it work, and haven't been able to
      find anybody to give me local support. All I want is some distro that
      will be useful to students and will still run as a standalone on old,
      limited hardware. Is there no hope for me?

Could we gather energy and work together on such a project? A couple of
days ago I wrote a basic Schedule of conditions
(http://www.ofset.org/wiki/index.php/FreeducSchedule) with various
functionality to be included. One of the element of this soc was thin
client managed with the help of LDAP

We are various people, entities and organizations (OSEF, Seul,
SchoolForge, OFSEt, etc.) working more or less in related projects. Some
project as the Seul's one is cross distribution and usefull at large.
However producing a specific system for education as described in the
soc document can help a lot to spread foss in education.

Hilaire Fernandes