[school-discuss] A Student speaks up for free software

Dear Schoolforge participants,

One of our first list members (of Schoolforge), Daniel Carter, graduated with an
International Baccalaureate diploma from his school in Australia last July. One
of the graduation requirements he had to fulfill was an "extended essay"
demonstrating his ability to handle a complex topic intelligently and
articulately. The result is a strong piece advocating free/open source software
-- from a student's viewpoint. He has, in effect, taken on the task of teaching
the teachers (I count myself as one among them.). I highly recommend you read
and share with others his piece, "The Future of Free Software in k-12 Learning
Environments":
http://opensourceschools.org/article.php?story=20030614012917484

David Bucknell
News.schoolforge.net