[school-discuss] moving from Windows 2000 -> linux , Fwd: [SF-LUG] request for info re school

How's this project coming along? Here's a possibly
belated response from a SF-LUG member.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Colin Ross <colinross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: June 6, 2005 6:00:16 PM PDT
To: SF-LUG <sf-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SF-LUG] request for info re school moving from Windows 2000 -> linux

I run a Fedora Core 3 Machine at work, a MS network. If you need anyhelp setting this up, let me know.
as for you side questions:
> A typing program.
by typeing, i'm guessing a program that helps people learn how to type, in that case try ktouch and/or tuxtype

> A MS program, preferably Visio.
OpenOffice can take care of this, specifically OO Draw. Although there are other options like Dia.

> Authentication to a MS product/Active Directory.
Depends on what you mean by authenticate... Could be a Samba thing.
You mean authenticate as in 'login' or authenticate to use a windows share, or authenticate to use an Exchange server?
All of these are supported in one way in linux

> Curriculum software which supports Literacy as it's main objective.
Sorry, i'm, not much help here....

On 5/26/05, jim stockford <jim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

anybody got info re Marc's list of lab services?
hopefully,
jim

Begin forwarded message: