Re: [school-discuss] What converting to Linux can do for a school

lee wrote:
*/Daniel Howard <dhhoward@xxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

 > the built-in OSS math applications,

I'm curious which built-in FLOSS math apps were these & which grade levels? ( from K12LTSP I assume...? )

For middle-schoolers I've found three upper-level non-FLOSS math apps that are portable across Windows & Linux, namely MathAid's java/javascript algebra & trig lessons & Maple, but I was wondering what if your teachers found any FLOSS alternatives that were helpful for middle school students.

Our highest grade is 5th, so we used KBruch, Kpercentage, TuxMath, Gperiodic, and Kalzium for the older kids and for the younger grades, Gcompris and Childsplay were big hits.

Since the district is now planning to do 6 more schools, including middle schools, we should be able to begin exploring what middle school kids groove on. I know there is an OSS Maple alternative as well as for Matlab, one of my favorites that I think would work for middle schoolers. Here's a fairly complete list of math OSS apps from

http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html#9

A couple of the Linux apps are proprietary, but are noted as such. SEUL app index also has plenty of algebra/geometry apps if memory serves.

Daniel

Math system in MathCad style: Gap.
Math system in Matlab style:
1) Matlab. [FTP]