Diskless node vs. thin client (was Re: [school-discuss] linux distributions for low resource computers)

That's a great point about power Jim. As I said, our 5th grade classes with 1:1 are regularly popping circuit breakers, and the teachers hate it that I won't let them use incandescent lamps, refrigerators, or microwaves in those rooms; that's one reason why they want to drop back to 2:1, space is the other, plus they finally decided that 2:1 met their needs quite adequately.

I still see thin clients continuing to drop in price pretty rapidly: The Ncomputing X300 works out at about $70 per station (w/o the cost of peripherals). And I'm with Jim in that the multimedia aspect will solve itself ultimately, and can be solved now with a lower client to server ratio.

The thing is, for a $250 diskless node or chubby client, plus $150 at least for the LCD monitor, you're not far from the price of an ultra mobile PC. That solves power, space, and multimedia issues, plus adds mobility. If I was going to spend that much, I'd look seriously at UMPCs.

Daniel

James P. Kinney III wrote:
I'm adding another piece to this puzzle:

power and cooling are an issue that can make or break this equipment.

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO