RE: [school-discuss] VPython & Wii

Title: RE: [school-discuss] VPython & Wii

1. buy a wiimote (EBay, $30.00)
2. order an infrared LED from Mouser Electronics or Radio Shack, etc.
   (see attached "wand" graphic)
3. get a bluetooth USB "dongle" (a cheap radio receiver and transmitter): < $20.00, ebay
   anything by Cambridge Silicon Ltd. seems to work fine. You don't need "driver"
   software for Linux.
4. use Kubuntu Linux >= 7.04  and the KDE window mgr.
5. Check to see if the "KBluetooth Server" is installed, if so, try it out.
   (if not there, use the "Adept" or "Synaptic" package manager to get it.)
6. get and install python >= v.2.5.1 with your package manager.
7. get the wiimote and python libraries (attached) and put them in your installed python
   module directory.

   Python modules needed:
     "linuxWiimoteLib.py", "mousecontrol.py", "keypressreader.py" and "perspective.py"
     (to untar the attached file: "tar zxvf ./wb.tar.gz")

   These modules are also available from
        http://wiiwhiteboard.cvs.sourceforge.net/wiiwhiteboard/source/linux/

   Also get the "PyBluez" package (to install, run "python setup.py install")
     and "python-xlib-0.14" (same command to install it).

8. get an ".Xauthority" configuration file in your home directory with "XDM" (apt-get install XDM)

9. Make the IR "stylus/wand" from an old whiteboard marker (see attached graphic file)

10. Check the bluetooth connection
    a. start the KBluetooth server from the Utilities menu of the desktop K Menu.
    b. Click on "KBlueMon", right button: "Discover Remote Services": "Start Scan".
    c. hit the 1 and 2 buttons simultaneously on the wiimote and watch to see
        if it can be found by the bluetooth system.

11. place the wiimote so that it can see the whole screen area it will use.
    I used a 3'vertical x 4'horizontal area (my reach) and put the wiimote about
    25 degrees a foot off the wall away from the top right corner of my area.
    You can just tape it to a pole or something to point the way you want it.

12. use: If the system can see the wiimote, start wiimote whiteboard software: "python wii.py".
    It will ask you to click on the top left, top right, bottom left, and bottom right
    corners of the area you want to use. ("calibrating")

13. practice a bit: Push the button to turn on the LED as you move the wand. You can't see
    the light with your eye, but you can with viewfinder of a digital camera.
    Try controlling the menus and a graphics app like kolourpaint or gimp.
    You can click on things with the right mouse button. (Unfortunately, control of
    the left button is a whole new matter and will need more hardware.  For now,
    just walk over and use your mouse if you need the left button at all.)

14. Come up with something interesting to teach people! This is perfect for study groups
     or lectures.  You can calibrate on a regular TV, or a computer projector's image.
     You can project an image from below onto a glass table, or put it up on a wall.

15. The Wiimote is capable of watching 4 points simultaneously! It can, of course, tell
    speed and direction with its "accelerometer" organs.
    There is a lot of Linux software available to talk to it and get all kinds of reports
    from it.