Re: [school-discuss] Collecting Assessments at District Level

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Stephen Braunius wrote:

> Thank you for the follow-up.  That answers my question about a better
> way to form my tables.  I had been doing tons of small tables and
> relating them...I guess thinking that then I don't have to have
> duplicate information in various tables.  It's all starting to make
> sense now :^).  More information in a table now=easier querying in the
> future.

The "correct solution" in my view is a balance between table numbers and
their contents. However we don't want redundant fields, which necessitates
multiple entries. I think it is VERY important to get the data structure
right for this, including possibilities for expansion in the future (since
there will _always_ be some changes as requirements change).

Have a large cup of coffee, turn off phone, close curtains. Think in
reverie state about data structure visualizing relations between
tables.... <grin>

> Since no one has commented on their being any pre-created solutions out
> there for linux that are set up for the type of assessment stuff I'm
> asking about with graph and chart options, I'll just keep talking to the
> various vendors of other solutions while creating my own to meet our
> district's needs.

As well, realized that most software is _custom_. First write down some
basic requirements for what you're looking for, including platform, user
requirements, possible future needs, etc. Obviously I would suggest MySQL
on a Linux/BSD platform...but what else is required...

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School