Re: [school-discuss] Meanwhile, a PR would be good

David Bucknell wrote:

> As a group that veers towards the technical, you probably already feel you have
> plenty of news/journal sites. OpenSourceSchools.org is meant to be a bridge
> between that technical world and that of education, especially k-13, which has a
> dearth of folks like you. If you post on opensourceschools.org, you will help
> form the idea among teachers and the like that this is an entry point for them
> to all of the schoolforge type stuff. We've got plenty of "Balkanization" in
> this group; IMHO we need a little synthesis.

I want to strongly reinforce David's point.  We need to "cross-fertilize" our groups
much more than we've been doing, and the way to do that is to make sure everyone is
aware of what everyone else is doing.  Not to toot my own horn too much, but when I
write the Linux in education reports every other week, I not only put them on the
SEUl/edu website, I also put them in their entirety on the Open Source Schools
website.  I send notices of the reports to both this list and the seul-edu list, and
to Linux Weekly News, VarLinux.org, LinuxToday, and NewsForge.  If anyone else here
would like me to send notices of each new report to them, just let me know.  In the
past some of the reports were translated into Spanish and Turkish (those are the
only ones I know about for sure) and posted on appropriate websites--I welcome more
of that, and not only for my reports.

So when your group does something you think is noteworthy, let us know!  And not
just on this mailing list.  Post it on your own website, write something for Open
Source Schools, etc.  If you're not sure how to publicize it widely, ask here!
We'll be more than happy to make suggestions and to help disseminate it.  It's
important that we don't talk only to technical groups and forums.  The ones who most
need to hear our messages don't frequent those.  We need to get the word out to the
educational "mainstream."