Re: [school-discuss] need network utility suggestions

tcpdump
sniffit
netwatch

are all pretty good.  netwatch is good for an overview of all traffic on
the network, tcpdump and sniffit can show more detailed packet info to and
from specific hosts or specific ports:

tcpdump host 192.168.1.100 and port 25

will monitor smtp traffic to and from 192.168.1.100, for example

Steve Tonnesen
Coast Mountains School District