Re: [school-discuss] Re: [gcompris-devel] Gcompris contest

Le sam 29/03/2003 à 11:47, Hilaire Fernandes a écrit :
> On 28 Mar 2003 15:55:08 +0100
> Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@int-evry.fr> wrote:
>
>       I've reformulated a little bit and added some information... so see
>       http://www.ofset.org/wiki/index.php/RecentChanges ;)
>
>       I hope you won't mind.
>

> Overall it is look ok for me. However, I just want to note that EPI
> already ported that games to a modern environment -- win32 -- but those
> ones were not released under GPL. So it is not true to tell EPI look to
> do a port.
>

>       I just want to make somethin clear : is the contest limited to EPI ports
>       or not ?
>

> No the point was that the EPI board can be used to provide base idea in
> board creation. However original creation could be created ot the
> contest.
>

>       I think it could be great also to reward other innovative additions, not
>       limiting to the EPI set (unless it's so good and exhaustive, of
>       course... I must say I didn't check and am not qualified to judge).
>

> Nothing can claim to be exhaustive :)

I agree to not restrict the contest to EPI boards. EPI boards should be
presented as examples of what can be done and is missing in gcompris.

>       I propose that the contest might run on a yearly base (or a long enough
>       period), in order to be able to judge on several submissions by the same
>       people, or on major improvements. I'm afraid that only judging on a
>       batch of ports would be a little bit too narrow for a having a kind of
>       excellence reward...
>       I think it would then be more fair to be able to reward contributions to
>       the base code as well as development or ports in the plugins...
>

> Rewarding not board innovative additions may make the reward a bit more
> complicated,  this may means adding category to the contest. Also board
> creation could be run in short term period, innovative creation in the
> base code may need larger period. May be we should not mix in the
> contest board creation and innovation in the base code or if we do so we
> should make two important categories in the contest. I personnaly prefer
> to stick to something simpler for now. What do we think the other?

I agree, It think it would make things simpler by sticking to boards
creation only.

Bruno.

>       P.S.: I hope several students at INT (1st year of the Ecole d'Ingénieur
>       curriculum) will be able to produce interesting contributions... and
>       mabe win something in the contest ? ;)
>

> I hope so too. Student from the Pau University may be able to join
> aswell.
>

> Hilaire Fernandes

I am impressed by the fast adoption of gcompris as a base for student
training. Hope it will be sucessfull.

Bruno.