Re: [school-discuss] Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

> What's a good, kid-friendly language for today's kids to use (on Linux,
> of course!)?

Not sure if this is the best language but its a fun language for young ones
to learn -- my 8 year old has liked writing programs with it.

http://www.rapideuphoria.com

Good luck and kudo's to you!

Lori Nicholson
Computer Technology and Information Systems
Wayne State College

|---------+----------------------------------------->
|         |           Bill Barowy                   |
|         |           <wbarowy@attbi.com>           |
|         |           Sent by:                      |
|         |           owner-schoolforge-discuss@scho|
|         |           olforge.net                   |
|         |                                         |
|         |                                         |
|         |           03/19/04 01:05 PM             |
|         |           Please respond to             |
|         |           schoolforge-discuss           |
|         |                                         |
|---------+----------------------------------------->
  |       To:       schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net                                                                          |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [school-discuss] Good programming language to teach an 8yr old                                               |

On Friday 19 March 2004 1:38 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> What's a good, kid-friendly language for today's kids to use (on Linux,
> of course!)?

I believe there is a version of logo out there for linux.
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/silva.logo.html

And while java is on the AP exam last I heard, Perl is available everywhere
(but what would an 8 yr old want to do with it?).

Anyway, logo has some nifty features that easily bridge to object-oriented
programming and one can do cool stuff with recursion.

I've taught microworlds logo (mac/PC) to k-12 teachers so i've seen a wide
range of things.

Also check out star-logo or net-logo, which can have thousands of tutles
-- a
distributed paradigm.
http://education.mit.edu/starlogo/

--