[school-discuss] Re: ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

> What's a good, kid-friendly language for today's kids to use (on
> Linux,of course!)?
>
> I've though about picking up some Python and passing my knowledge
> on to him,
> but of course I'd rather ask the educators and other experts on
> variousmailing lists for suggestions, since many of you have
> already dealt with
> this problem before.

Using Python with pygame might be fun for him.

Lee Harr has written an online book (in progress) "Start Programming"
and has developed a framework for Python and pygame for beginning
programmers.

http://www.nongnu.org/pygsear/

I started programming at 48, not 8.  So am talking outside my
experience.  But it seems to me that Lee's work has a lot of - for lack
of a better word - integrity.

Art