Re: [school-discuss] [Fwd: Textbooks on OpenOffice.org]

Malc wrote:
Thanks! I also checked out visibooks.com and agree with you. There is a future here. Having suffered in Africa with rotting and
moulding and expensive OUP text books, this will be a boon.
And re. Microsoft, well I guess Bill has enough bucks to last out the
course.

Malc

--- Mathiew Greenway <mattg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The fact that OpenOffice.org is a product name and a web site creates
confusion.

The proper wording in this case should have been
Books about OpenOffice.org have been published and are available at
http://www.visibooks.com
.
I have been following openoffice since its beginning. Sun was adamant about using only openoffice.org such that everyone in the world knew where they could go to get information about the programs, download them, or seek out an "authorized" distributor. This kept control of distribution where it belongs, with the copyright holder and its development community. This also keeps down the downright chicanery and deceit by opportunists who would want everyone to believe openoffice is really ms office etc. or claim exclusivity and sell openoffice for big bucks, ad infinitum. I can live with the slight confusion.