Re: [school-discuss] Teaching Unicode, Encoding, etc to High School Students

Hi Les,  here's all 4 of my unicode bookmarks (after cleaning).

http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ucd/UCD.html
http://www.reportlab.com/i18n/python_unicode_tutorial.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-unicodedata.html
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/versions/

-charles

On 3/8/07, Les Richardson <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Hi All,

I'm working on a sequence of units for Grade 9-12 students to teach them
about the issues surrounding encoding, fonts, typography, and Unicode,
etc.

Are there resource that folks have used about the 'teaching' of these
issues? (Yes, there are lots of resources... the trick is control of core
definitions, and a graduated presentation over grade level progression)

For example my grade 9's know about number representations (binary and
hex and how to convert) and Ascii and how to do conversions from numeric
to character representation, etc.

I'm interested in some frameworks as to how this can be done...

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School
Edam, SK Canada