Re: [school-discuss] Donated Computers announcement, Take III

On Monday 06 May 2002 14:42, Dennis Heuer wrote:

>>> I personally prefer referring to 'Linux' as 'GNU/Linux'.  After all,
>>> most of the core software in any 'Linux distribution' is part of the
>>> GNU System. Does anyone else agree with me?

>> Yes, but KISS. A headline is not the place to put philosophical points.
>> If that were not so, it would say something like `OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
>> ENABLES...'.

> Yes, indeed, Linux is a buzzword and GNU/Linux is not. Using the word
> Linux does no harm and helps because this word is widely known. Using
> GNU/Linux is always wrong because it specifically expresses that there
> is some Linux and some GNU software. But all distributions include more
> than that. So, this term misses the real situation. Better saying Free
> Source or Open Source.

I don't actually mind GNU+Linux, then if people make a mistake it's generally
to regard the compound word as connoting `the GNU brand of Linux'. Young
Richard also likes the idea, but is adamant that the existing GNU/Linux
method is adequate an definitely worth NOT changing. The problem with that in
this specific case is that Joe SixPack, Journalist, will write it out as `GNU
and Linux Enables...' which breaks the scansion and so comes across as
uneducated. FOr headlines, KISS.

Cheers; Leon