Re: [school-discuss] free audio books in .mp3 format

On Saturday 11 May 2002 04:25 pm, you wrote:
> Thanks for your attention concerning my mail on mp3 audio books format.
> The type of audio books I would be most interested in are the classics and
> also, if there would be something available, biographies of famous
> composers of all times, preferably the greatest masters of classical music.
>
> I develop a specific work with artists and musicians, so this would be of
> great value for me and my students.

we have a particular interest in messiaen, bernstein, John Zorn, Sibelius,
Mahler, Bruckner and Beethoven and they are the thrust of our first musical
effort, in parallel with a corresponding jazz effort that features living
musicians here in new orleans.  Consequently, we have a stockpile of these
materials.  they were selected out of love, and a hunch there is a common
thread, somewhere.  but, we are always on the lookout for new infatuations ...

we can adjust this to suit your requirements if you like.

as far as classic books go - what do you want ?

Shakespeare, Canterbury tales, Iliad, Odyssey, Aristotle, Plato ->
give me some specific requests and i'll try to comply.

i think i can provide bios of Schubert, Beethoven and several of the younger
Bach's - beyond that involves royalties --> dollars.

we have some scores via Gutenberg.

give me a chance to fill this need, give me a shopping list.

what you do is so important, music is being forgotten.

a strong secondary interest is in medieval and Renaissance music.  i have
David munroe's set of disks from oxford and will broadcast them, if they
would be of use to you and your students.

over 1000 instruments of medieval and Renaissance venue are explored - and an
accompanying book is very instructive, having first person accounts of
players, pictures of players and scales the instruments can navigate, this
set of recordings has not been available since 1991.

i can post the book as scanned pages if it's of use.

if you let us, we'll provide a useful resource :-)

mike eschman, etc...
"Not just an afterthought ...
http://www.engima.com