[school-discuss] Another angle on winning interest in open source

FYI, I have written an article meant to argue with teachers on their own terms
that they should give free and open source tools a place in their programs.

David Bucknell

Here is the message I sent to a few teachers' mailing lists:

"Dear Colleagues,

  Genetically speaking, how strong is your school's technology program? You
may
have installed "the industry standard" in file servers, productivity suites,
library and finance applications and Web course builders, and you may be
teaching "the syllabus" recommended by the AP, IB, Microsoft or Apple. But
does plugging these pieces into your school's network, workstations or
curriculum mean that you're protecting the community from a)falling behind the
tech learning curve, b)viruses, or c)wasted time and money teaching and
learning dead-end technologies? I don't think so. If this topic intersts you,
please read and comment on:

http://members.iteachnet.org/webzine/article.php?story=20020510191936985

  Best wishes,

  David Bucknell
Editor, International Education Daily and Open Source Schools

--
http://www.iteachnet.org
http://members.iteachnet.org/~home About Membership

http://members.iteachnet.org/