RE: [school-discuss] Re: Educational/ Open Source Foundries (fwd)

All-

Let me take this opportunity to introduce myself to the larger
schoolforge list. My name is David Geilhufe and I have been working on
open source for nonprofit organizations for a year or so now. I run a
little 501-c-3, social-source.org, that does primarily advocacy and
marketing work around nonprofit open source issues. To pay my rent, I
build web applications in open source for nonprofit clients.

After finding out about the likelihood of a bifurcation between the
nonprofit and educational foundries on source forge, I wanted to talk
with a couple of people before wading into the public list, but hey..
You guys are nice to newbies right? ;)

I know there are plenty of good reasons to keep the educational and
nonprofit foundries separate, but at the core of my thinking is the idea
that there may not be a critical mass of projects, moderators, and
participants to sustain separate foundries and make them vibrant,
compelling online communities... And that might be a reason to start out
together rather than separate.

What do folks think? Am I way off base?

David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David Geilhufe
Principal
social-source.org
T: (650) 328-8671
F: (309) 285-3466
david@social-source.org
www.social-source.org

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Geilhufe;David
FN:David Geilhufe (david@social-source.org)
ORG:social-source.org
TITLE:Prinicipal
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+1 (650) 328-8671
TEL;WORK;FAX:+1 (309) 285-3466
ADR;WORK:;;619 Tennyson Avenue;Palo Alto;CA;94301;United States of America
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:619 Tennyson Avenue=0D=0APalo Alto, CA 94301=0D=0AUnited States of America
URL;WORK:http://www.social-source.org/
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:david@social-source.org
REV:20020411T011142Z
END:VCARD