[school-discuss] YOUTH Technology Summit -- planning and getting some local press

Priority adjustment: For ourselves and our own youth - your feedback desired

Hi All,

Yesterday's event at Alpha Chimp Studios had 20 splendid visitors. Our
planning meeting concerned the vision of the Regional YOUTH Technology
Summit, and WE made today's news:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette coverage and photo, May 1, 2003
    New Pittsburgh: High-tech growth starts at home, group says
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03121/180995.stm

        (repost #1 below)

News release about YOUTH Technology Summit:
    http://Summit.CLOH.Org/news

        (repost #2 below)

Those in Western PA, please consider attending one of the future idea /
planning sessons, with RSVP to TechLunch@CLOH.Org

* Group 03: May 10, 2003 - Breakfast from 10 am - noon, bring your kids!
* Group 04: May 21, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30
* Group 05: June 7, 2003 - Breakfast from 10 am - noon
* Group 06: June 11, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30
* Group 07: June 25, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30
    * Dates in July and August are yet to be announced.

Ta.

Mark Rauterkus
mark@Rauterkus.com  http://Rauterkus.com
http://CLOH.Org   http://Sunnyhill.org    http://www.Deliberate.com

#1)

Business New Pittsburgh: High-tech growth starts at home, group says

Thursday, May 01, 2003
By Donald I. Hammonds, Post-Gazette Staff Writer

Pittsburgh's efforts to attract more young high technology professionals are
well known and documented.

But some local high tech enthusiasts believe that if the region really wants
to build its reservoir of high tech talent, the best place to start is with
children who already live here.

That's the thinking of stay-at-home father and community volunteer Mark
Rauterkus and his ongoing Youth Tech Summit Idea Session, which had its
second brainstorming session yesterday at Oakland's Alphachimp Studios,
which provides meeting space for groups.

His plan calls for bringing together city officials, local businesses,
school officials and parents to help develop programs and projects that will
get young people more interested in technology, more proficient in using it
and perhaps go on to pursue careers in the field. If successful, these young
people could remain here and pursue their careers in their home town.

"We spend an awful lot of money through recruiting firms to bring people
here, and we have things like the Digital Greenhouse, too. I just thought,
we try so hard to recruit high technology people to come here and settle
down, why not just grow our own instead and they'll already be right here,"
Rauterkus said. "The problem has been that there aren't any low rungs on the
ladder for people to make an investment in the community and get involved to
make all that happen."

Yesterday's participants wrote their views on a bulletin board about
Pittsburgh's current high-tech environment and challenges, the elements that
are needed to involve children and youth in high-tech pursuits, and
organizations and individuals that could help carry their project out.
Additional meetings are planned to generate ideas, develop strategies and
implement the plan.

#2) Press Release. Okay for publishing.

YOUTH Technology Summit planning begins in earnest

Community Process has Open-Source Style

Contact:
    Mark Rauterkus,
    108 South 12th Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15203-1226 USA

    voice: 412-298-xxxx
    web: http://Summit.CLOH.Org
    email: Mark@Rauterkus.com

New efforts put forth by Alpha Chimp Studios and instigated by Mark
Rauterkus hope to engage thousands from all sectors.

Technology and local YOUTH can energize our shared civic landscapes and
economy.

Mark Rauterkus, an activist and former candidate for Mayor, City of
Pittsburgh, 2001, is launching a far-reaching community endeavor that needs
volunteer participation -- a YOUTH Technology Summit.

Pittsburgh needs a YOUTH Technology Summit so various people can come
together under one room. The academics, business leaders, technology firms,
teachers, parents and neighborhood players need to celebrate, stimulate and
challenge our youth.

Pittsburgh spends too much time, effort and money on trying to recruit high
tech workers and firms from other parts of the country. Rather, let's
investing in our own. We can grow a brilliant work force that embraces
technology here at home. A new priority can be ourselves. As our marketplace
becomes vibrant, others will choose to come live over here to mingle with
our talented, grounded and healthy neighbors.

Pledge from facilitators, Alpha Chimp Studios

    Alpha Chimp Studios is run by a husband and wife team, Managing
Director, Diane Durand, and Creative Director, Peter Durand. The principals
made a pledge to volunteer their collaborative space, talents and host
energies for 10 to 20 first round planning sessions, 5 to 15 second round
meetings for strategies and 3 to 10 third round implementation meetings.

    The work of each session is transformed into art as ideas are discussed.
A transcript is typed and posted on the internet. Final documents and a
handbook is being prepared for future rounds.

Simple RSVP

    Each brown-bag lunch or breakfast session lasts two hours. Email
TechLunch@CLOH.Org to reserve your spot. Up to 15 participants with diverse
backgrounds are to attend each session.

    Efforts are low cost, easy access and open to anyone. To witness the
creative artwork in the collaboration space is worth the investment of time.

* Saturday, May 10, from 10 am - noon. Bring your kids.
* Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30.
* Saturday, June 7, 2003 - Breakfast from 10 am - noon
* Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30
* Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30
July and August dates are yet to be announced.

Public Domain

Mark Rauterkus, a retired publisher, has worked in the open-source movement.

The content and approach put forth is in harmony with Open Source Software
-- not propriety. Commercial applications and businesses are going to be
involved, but the grand scope is fully open and to be run with democratic
votes among any with interest. Technology tools beyond email and web
pages,such as eVote, are to be deployed.

Sponsorships Welcomed
    Sponsorships for the lunch meetings, postcards, posters and materials
are available at modest costs.

Early Adopters
    The list of those already expressing an interest stretches from
Harrisburg to local school teachers and high tech firms in other parts of
the country.

    SchoolForge, an international open-source software advocacy group, hopes
that the Pittsburgh event can evolve into a model that can be replicated
elsewhere.

    Doctors, coaches, fatherhood advocates, and those who operate the state
site, InventPA.Com, are set to attend meetings and offer input. Bankers,
journalists, home-schooled kids and neighbors are interested and helping to
create a buzz.

Who
    Mark Rauterkus is a stay-at-home dad who resides with his family on
Pittsburgh's South Side. Rauterkus is on the GOP City Committee, the council
at the South Side Market House Childrens' Athletic Association, the
Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network's Youth and Recreation Task Force.
    A prime instigator for planning a Regional YOUTH Technology Summit,
http://Summit.CLOH.Org. Rauterkus host other sites including eVote at
Deliberate.Com, a UU Church site, Sunnyhill.Org and the Community Learning
Outreach Hub, CLOH.Org.
    The home office for Rauterkus.com is at 108 South 12th Street. Cell:
412-298-xxxx.

- - -

Your feedback matters and is desired. Please stay in touch, attend a
meeting. Send an email.

    Want more, subscribe yourself to:

    Opt-in for friendly emails (lower volume) on your own at: