[school-discuss] Good Post on Open Source

Hello Everyone.
The good fight goes on.

Here is a post from Oregon Rep. Phil Barnhart,
introducer of H.B. 2892

Open Source NOW!
Please write your legislators!

Chris Calise
president
LCC Open Source Educational Group
www.opensourced.org

~~HB 2892 - Open Source Software for Oregon~

Open Source. It sounds so simple, so inviting. My House Bill 2892, to
allow the State to consider open source and open standards when making
purchasing decisions for the State's vast computer systems, would save
us millions of dollars. It mandates...nothing. It suggests giving us...
a choice! School districts across the state are already reaping the
benefits of a system that is more reliable, more secure and free, why
not the State? Dare I suggest the presence of an 800 lb. gorilla (a.k.a.
Microsoft) in the Speaker's office might have something to do with the
very popular bill failing to emerge from House Government Committee?

My colleagues on both sides of the aisle reported receiving volumes of
mail supporting the sensible procurement process. Proprietary software
costs us every time we upgrade; with 55,000 computers in the system, the
licensing fees alone amount to about $8 million yearly. I have yet to
hear a well-reasoned argument against saving the State money. The chair
of the Committee stated in a work group that he "would have introduced
this legislation had Barnhart not beat me to it." We made numerous
concessions to the industry in the form of amendments. The Microsoft
people simply had no desire to work out a compromise. The answer to my
question of their lobbyist, "So, you just want this bill to go away?"
was an unequivocal, "Yes." The answer to their question of me, "Have you
given up on Open Source Software for Oregon?" is an unequivocal, "NO."

I welcome your comments, thoughts and suggestions. Please feel free to
contact my office if there is anything my staff or I can do for you. It
is often a frustration but always an honor to serve you.

Sincerely yours,

Phil Barnhart

State Representative

Central Lane and Linn Counties

~~Contact Rep. Barnhart~

Capitol:

900 Court  St NE, H-477, Salem, OR 97301

In-District:

P.O. Box 71188, Eugene, OR 97401

(503) 986-1411 * rep.philbarnhart@state.or.us
<mailto:rep.philbarnhart@state.or.us  *