-----Original Message-----
From: owner-schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
[mailto:owner-schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net] On Behalf Of Dave
Prentice
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 6:34 PM
To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net

Hello all,
    A sudden opportunity has arisen to donate 20 old Pentium computers
to an orphanage in Guatemala. (Free shipping - praise the Lord!) They
are doing great work, having gotten over 500 kids off the streets and
into schooling, some for the first time in their lives.
    I need to load an OS on these machines for very basic use in
computer literacy at the orphanage's school. There have been
discussions on the list about both Knoppix and Freeduc, but I have no
experience with either. (I've used RH for several years.) It is my
impression that they will both run from CD, but it would be nice if
they could go on the hard drives for faster response. Which is less
demanding of resources? That is, what's the minimum size hard drive
and minimum amount of memory to get reasonable performance? Also, does
either or both offer the option for Spanish?
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com