Re: [school-discuss] Knoppix vs. Freeduc vs. ???

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 06:24, Dave Prentice wrote:
> From: ian <ian.lynch2@ntlworld.com>
> >On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 00:08, Harry McGregor wrote:
> >> Another option (better), would be to not use knoppix, but setup a
> good,
> >> dual athlon linux terminal server (about $1200US), and make the 20
> >> pentium class system pure Xterms, less hardware to fail.
> >You don't need a dual processor server. A gig of RAM and a 2.4 gig
> >processor will be more than enough for a thin client terminal server
> for
> >20 machines.
> <snip>
> The point is that the machines going to Guatemala are donated. I have
> no budget to work with. Now, if somebody wants to donate a server like
> you're talking about, just let me know. If not, they need to work as
> standalones.

Where are you physically located?

I have the following parts on hand, and willing to donate for this:

Athlon 1GHz motherboard/chip
768MB (maybe 1GB) of PC133 SDRAM
low end video card
100 Mbit network card
full tower steel case

24 port 10Mbit switch, with 100Mbit uplink

I can probably dig up the hard drives as well.

This won't be as fast as a dual setup (I like duals for terminal
servers, as it reduces CPU contention issues), but it will work, email
me off list - hmcgregor@osef.org and we will see what can be worked out.

			Harry

> Dave Prentice
> prentice@instruction.com
> http://www.originsresource.org

Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)
Open Source Education Foundation, http://www.osef.org
A non-profit tax exempt charitable organization