Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 10:26:01 -0500
From: Marc J. Barr <mjbarr@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Mentoring

I believe it is an important aspect of our roles
as educators to provide mentoring to students.

One opportunity that we have this year, in addition to our
participation in the SIGGRAPH Pioneer's Mentoring
Program, which is for HS students, is to provide a mentor
at SIGGRAPH 2010 for the recipient of the ACM Women
in Computing scholarship.

http://women.acm.org/
http://women.acm.org/participate/scholarship/index.cfm

The winner for this year is Nathalie Kaligirwa, who is
from Rwanda and currently a student at Oklahoma
Christian University.

You can read about her in this UNICEF article:

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/rwanda_40542.html

Her expressed interests are computing and
the arts, especially how computing can be
used to enhance architecture and as an aid
in the restoration of old paintings.

I would like you all to consider whether you
might be the appropriate person to mentor her
through this year's conference.

If you are interested in this, please contact me as
Ms. Kaligirwa is interested in making contact with you.

Thank you.

Marc J. Barr
Professor
Dept. of Electronic Media Communication