Re: [school-discuss] Active Directory support in linux distributions

On 05/25/2010 04:30 PM, Matthew W. Ross wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I am interested in finding out if there are new distributions that support connecting to an Active Directory natively.
>
> Let me be clear: I am looking for a supported distribution that states in the documentation that it is able, and includes documentation on how, to connect to an Active Directory domain, including the option to mount the AD supplied home directory automatically on AD login.

What do you mean by "supported distribution"?

If you are looking for a distribution where integration with active
directory is officially documented and will work, I think you'll find
some. If you are looking for a distribution where you can hand the
developers money and you can call them for help with active directory
integration, I'm less optimistic.

Although I don't think you can find a distribution that provides
commercial support for this kind of setup, you can purchase it from
Likewise. They follow the "open core" strategy of relasing their basic
product at no cost using a free software license but selling a
proprietary version with more advanced features.

http://www.likewise.com/products/likewise_open/comparing_enterprise_and_open.php

> I've recently played with Ubuntu 10.04 at home, but didn't see anything on it about attaching it to an Active Directory. I also notice that Fedora 13 came out today, and RedHat has had the authentication baked into the distro for some time... but without the Home Directory being supported. Perhaps someone on this list can tell me that the Home Folder is (or is not) supported in recent Fedora releases? What about other distributions? I have not had much time to experiment. Also, are there programs (such as Likewise) that support the Active Directory with Home Folders?

Ubuntu works with Likewise.

http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/Likewise
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/likewise-open.html

--